|by Sara, Abby, Naina||Germantown Academy 6th grade||1997|
State the name of your game and why you chose it.
We chose cricket because a member of our group is Indian and she knows how to play.
List the countries where it is played and its origin.
It is popular in a lot of British countries like England and Australia. It is played all over the world. The game originated in India.
Describe how your game is played. State the object of the game. Clearly describe the rules.
- The game is played by two teams of eleven players.
- The object of the game is to get as many runs as possible while the other team tries to catch the ball.
- To play, first the bowler (pitcher) throws a ball which is the same as a field hockey ball to a batsman (the person at bat). As the ball approaches the batsman swings the bat below his/her shoulder. The batsman hits the ball as far as he/she can into the oval shaped field.
- Then he/she runs back and forth inside the wickets (tagging them) as many times as he/she can before the other team catches the ball.
- The winning team is the team with the most runs.
List the equipment needed.
- It is played on an open field with two wickets (poles) placed in the ground 22 yards apart.
- Batman's glove
- Wicket keeper gloves
- White padded leg guards (shin guards)
- Abdomen protector
- Cricket boots (like cleats)
Make recommendations for what type of athlete would enjoy playing this game. What skills does it demand?
Sara: A baseball player would definitely enjoy playing cricket, because it uses a bat, a ball and you have to score runs. You must be a good and fast runner just as in baseball.
What are your feelings about this game? Did you enjoy playing it? Would you recommend it?
Sara: Cricket is mostly played by boys but I think that I could learn it. It would be good to play on a bright and sunny day.
Multicultural Games Unit | Games Index | Middle School | GAnet
P.O. Box 278
Ft. Washington, PA 19034
firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com