|by Lisle, Casey||Germantown Academy 6th grade||1998|
State the name of your game and why you chose it.
We chose Snow Snake because we both enjoy skiing and snow. We were intrigued by its origins and thought that it would be challenging, exciting and fun to try.
List the countries where it is played and its origin.
Snow Snake was played in parts of Ontario, Quebec and New York. That area was known as the Iroquois Confederacy. It is a traditional game of the Iroquois people which includes the Mohawk, Seneca, Oneida, Cayuga, Onondaga and Tuscarora tribes.
Describe how your game is played. State the object of the game. Clearly describe the rules.
- The object of this game is to throw a birch stick or bones of an animal decorated with snake skin or feathers, down the icy or slippery alley (like a small snow runway or ice chute)
- Whoever throws the stick the farthest is the winner.
- The Iroquois people had two ways of playing the game. One way is throwing the birch stick, and the other is sliding it down the slippery surface.
- Each person has to start at the same point and can't cross that line or they will be disqualified. After each person is done throwing or sliding their bones they must report their results to the judges. They may not move the bones after they are thrown or they will be thrown out of the game.
List the equipment needed.
To adapt this game and play it with our class we need:
- 10 bones or sticks
- feathers to decorate the sticks
- 2 slippery surfaces
- mats to be borders
- large open space
Make recommendations for what type of athlete would enjoy playing this game. What skills does it demand?
Casey: You do not have to be very athletic to do this sport. It doesn't require using many muscles. Some may decide to have a running start before they throw their birch stick. People who play softball, baseball or football will probably enjoy this game because you have to throw things. It is best to play with people who have your same ability ... that way it is more challenging and exciting. To play this game you need patience and upper body strength. The best time to play Snow Snake is in the Winter. It is most fun on an icy surface between snow banks.
What are your feelings about this game? Did you enjoy playing it? Would you recommend it?
Lisle: We think that this is a good game because people of all ages can play. We like this game because it takes skill, patience and self control. We also thought this game was a different experience but not too challenging. It is a fun game to play and we enjoyed learning about it.
Multicultural Games Unit | Games Index | Middle School | GAnet
P.O. Box 278
Ft. Washington, PA 19034
email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org